Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Dreams, Plans, SMILE

My son spent about an hour on the phone last night and it made me smile. I could overhear his side of the conversation and I filled in the rest. Brings back fond memories.
He has an invention he would like to build. He informed me last night that if I would help him, he thinks he can make enough money to pay for college. Isn't that great? I mean the fact that he would like to go to college! When you are young anything is possible, well when you get older too, except maybe those cartwheels I loved so much.
He is talking to his friend about the invention and discussing other ideas they have come up with. At 14, I am overjoyed that the conversation is about anything other than girls. They were talking about making money for college, and most importantly the house they were going to share. They would have a room just for their motorcycles and one with a big screen T.V.. They are going to paint the room red and black and put huge couches in for watching movies. They are going to invite all their friends for parties, but they can't smoke in the house. I wanted to ask who smokes but remembered I'm not supposed to be listening. They will also have many exotic pets, like snakes and lizards, maybe a tiger. Then I hear him say "Dude, why would we do that? We don't know how to do laundry and we should wait until we can at least drive". I think we should live at home till we are at least 18 or 19" (His friend doesn't have the best home life and wants to get out fast).
In between talk of their grown-up life, was talk about kids at school and how they had changed since they started smoking pot and how some of the girls were starting to be mean. I realized that, despite his blank stare, some of what we talk about actually sinks in! I felt good, he is a good boy.
What plans and dreams we have when we are young, warms me inside, makes my day bright. I remember not to long ago, Becky Lane and I making similar plans to live together in a house full of animals.

No comments: