Saturday, January 01, 2005

Serves me right!

Serves me right, yeah it does! What have I told my boys…if you make a commitment you can’t back out just because something better comes along. I was trying to teach them a little about commitment. I feel foolish because I know full well that I don’t always live by that rule. I try, especially when they know ahead of time that we have plans. Now that they are gone I am keeping all options open.
For New Years Eve I had three different invites. I didn’t commit to any of them and I was waiting to see which one promised to be the most fun. One was a family type event, sure to be fun with lots of food, booze and games. The second was an invite to the Yacht Club, fun ‘cause of the people, not the environment. The third invite was going out with people from work. That is definitely the newest group of friends and still “fun and new”. This was not really fair to my real friends. They didn’t beg as they usually do. I was not overwhelmed by the phone calls asking me to come over. I have a generic excuse I give them, leaving all options open. They must think I have some kind of stomach disease.
So, I sat and waited and listened to each groups plan. Some of my friends were kind of undecided and I wanted to wait and see what they decided. I figured it was my last night out before the boys come home and I might as well make good use of it. I waited and ended up choosing a group of friends from work. I showered, prepped, foo-fooed up and then I waited for their call. I waited, waited, and waited. At about 10:00 pm I decided they weren’t calling and I felt bad. Immediately I felt guilty. I should have picked my real friends, the ones who always invite me, and the ones who enjoy my company.
At this point I knew I had missed my ride and I probably couldn’t get a cab. I knew that unless I wasn’t going to drink I couldn’t drive. I blew it, I had to face the consequences.
So…I went to bed at 12:02 am. Yahoo, what a fun night, but well deserved I must say.
Next time I will not play the same game. Commitment is not such a bad thing, at least I would have kissed someone other than my pillow at midnight!

No comments: