Friday, January 28, 2005

Nick is having a Birthday!!!!!

Today is Nick’s birthday. My baby, my first-born is 14 years old. It seems like I was just taking him to his first day of kindergarten, and now we are looking at the first day of High School.
I was in labor with him for 3 days. It was awful (most labor is). We lived in a small rural town and my doctor was on vacation. The attending physician kept sending me home even though I was having contractions every 5 minutes. He said my cervix was not dilating. At about the 60 hr mark I told my husband we were “going to the hospital and I wasn’t leaving until I had a baby.” When I arrived at the hospital they informed me that the doctor was on his way back from the airport and he wanted them to admit me. I was two weeks overdue and he was not pleased that they had let me go on this long. He checked me and said he could feel the baby’s head but my cervix was only dilating on one side. That one side was almost fully dilated. He told me he needed to manually dilate me and of course at that point I didn’t give a rats ass. Never again! That was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I can’t even explain it. It sent sharp pains down to my toes, paralyzing pain. I try to be kind in all situations, but this time I couldn’t hold it in. I finally said something like “Why don’t you just take off your coat and climb in!” Finally, fully dilated, I felt the urge to push. I pushed, pushed, and pushed some more. After almost 3 days with out sleep and after 3 hrs of pushing I couldn’t go anymore. Every time I would stop pushing, Nick would slide back up. The doctor asked the nurse to call OR and have them prepare for a C-section. I begged for one more chance and I pushed until I burst blood vessels in my eyes. Several more pushed produces a head but his shoulders were stuck. They had to break his collarbone and in return he (Nick) broke my tailbone. When he was placed on my stomach I was so happy that I forgot the pain I was feeling. He was beautiful. His head, even after 3 hours of pushing was perfectly round (except for a moon shaped bulge where he had pushed against my half dilated cervix.) He had a dimple in his chin just like my dad and he was wide-eyed. The entire stay in the hospital he cried, little did I know that he would cry non-stop for 6 months. I didn’t care, I was in love.
Nick and I have a special bond; we are too much alike sometimes. He was my little buddy, we actually grew up together. Things are changing quickly for him and I am the one having the trouble with it. I wanted him to be my “little helper” forever.
He is becoming a young man and I only want the best for him. I know I can’t make decisions for him, but I am trying to help him make the right ones. It is very hard for me to let go of the little boy who once needed me for everything. Whatever happened to the little boy who wanted to live with me until he was 66?

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TO THE MAN OF THE HOUSE!!
I LOVE YOU MORE!!!!

Birthday menu: Breakfast was orange juice and B.P. (breakfast pizza). It sounded horrible when he requested it but ended up being yummy. It was crust, light pizza sauce, scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese. Lunch was (I didn’t forget) a bagel with cream cheese and pepperoni, juice, celery with peanut butter, and Fire Hot Cheetos. For dinner he has asked to go to The Olive Garden. He and his best friend want to wear ties, with their t-shirts of course.

1 comment:

tobynkatie said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY NICK! :) Hope you had fun!