Wednesday, March 02, 2005

They all love me, don't they

Despite the fact that Oxnard has over 180,000 people, the beachside community where I live is fairly small. Although we are technically Oxnard, the locals refer to the area as Channel Islands Harbor. Channel Islands Harbor includes the houses that sit on the water and a few blocks surrounding. To the right, along the beach is Oxnard Shores (recently re-named Mandalay Shores) and to the left is Hollywood Beach. These three areas have a combined population of about 2,500 people. A lot of the OSL’s (Oxnard Shore locals) are second and third generation beach bums (with great jobs). You either know personally or recognize most of the locals (except for some weekenders). This is a very laid back, friendly bunch of people. The theme for our block party last year was “I LOOOOVE my neighbors”.

Yesterday after work I made a trip to the grocery store to get some essentials. On the way out of the parking lot someone honked and waved at me. I wasn’t paying that much attention and I just waved back. It is a short drive home and people kept waving at me. I said to the boys, “Isn’t it great to live in such a friendly place?” I had that “I never want to leave my mom” feeling. We pulled into the garage and got out of the car. Of course Nick was the first one out and I heard him say “Oh MOM!” I had left the milk on top of the car. Whoops, I guess I am not as loved as I thought, just a nerd!

2 comments:

Frank said...

lol...I did something like that once.....but it was Chinese Food.

It was worse when it fell off the roof and covered the back window.....yuck.

=(



F

Michele said...

HA!
Lucky it stayed up there, or you'd have been cursing the bagger when you got home.