Sunday, October 31, 2004

"The Question"

My 13 yr old son has "officially" become a teenager. Sure, he has been 13 for 10 months now, but things are really starting to change for us. He has always been the boy who tells me everything, even when it got him in trouble. I would wonder to myself if he was "extremely honest" or just "not-so-bright". Those days are rapidly disappearing.
Over the past couple of months he has stopped telling me EVERYTHING and started telling me not much. I haven't caught him telling out-right lies but just not telling me the whole truth. I am not use to this. I am bracing myself for the next few years, doing my mental push ups!
Today, on the way to a friends house he says "Mom, I need to ask you a question and you have to promise not to flip out". My heart started racing...drugs, sex, what could it possibly be? "O.K" I reply in a squeaky voice. Things were really quiet in the back seat where he was sitting. I brace myself for the question and wonder if I should pull the car over. Then he speaks- the question I have been dreading since the day he was born-
"Mom, can a person die from taking to many laxatives?"

(At a sleep over the week before, they had dared a kid to eat Ex-lax, he was feeling guilty)

No comments: